Albion Middle School Community Council
May 21, 2015, 4:00 p.m., Library
Attending: Darrell Jensen, Scott Jameson, Marianne Bates, Matt Erdmans, Stanton Akana, Mindy Timothy, Jordan Lynn, Monica Carlson, Kristin Messenger, Rene Hunter, Nathan Hunter, Richard Zito, Cheryl Simmons, Lisa Anderson, Mila Gleason.
- Minutes of last month’s meeting were sent out by email to be approved. Lisa Anderson made a motion that they be approved, and Rene Hunter seconded the motion.
- Mr. Jensen reported that our Land Trust Plan was submitted and was well written, but the Board would like schools to use data from 2015 rather than 2014. The 2015 results will be the baseline and the percent of improvement will remain the same. The SCC unanimously approved to make this change. Mr. Jensen also noted that Ms. Timothy is Albion’s Teacher of the Year.
- Mr. Jensen expressed appreciation for Teacher Appreciation Week activities. The PTA provided several meals, a soft drink machine for the week, and gift cards for the faculty and staff. Teachers said that it was the best Teacher Appreciation Week ever!
- Nathan Hunter was present representing the PTSA.
- Mr. Jensen reviewed important dates coming up:
- May 26th to ?—SAGE make-up testing
- May 28th—Locker clean out, retirement reception for Terri Walton
- June 1st—Knight of the Tri
- June 3rd—Awards assembly
- June 4th—Lagoon day, activities for 6th and 7th graders in the afternoon
- June 5th—7th and 8th grade only
- Aug. 18th—6th grade ½ day
- Aug. 19th—everyone back to school
- Monica Carlson reported that Brighton Area Scheduling has started. Assemblies at Brighton were well attended by parents and students. The master schedule is complete, and the counselors are currently working on resolving conflicts.
- Kristen Messenger brought up that students are playing games on cell phones when they are finished early in class rather than being involved in other activities. She brought a list of academically relevant activities that could be used as buffer activities for those who finish early. Mr. Jensen noted that enrichment activities are going to be added to classes next year.
- Mr. Jensen talked about the rotation that will be made in CTE classes next year. Students will rotate among FACS (Ms. Brown), Woodshop, and Engineering /Business (Ms. Valencia).
- We are 100% staffed for next year. Those leaving are:
- Ben Poulsen—hired by CTEC
- Carlie Allred—moving and staying home with children
- Kristin Gonzales—staying home with children
- Matt Erdmans—moving to Oregon
- Terri Walton—retiring
- Stanton Akana—teaching in Heber (closer to his home)
- Ryan Durant—administrative intern at Jordan High
- Monica Carlson—going to SL School District (closer to her home)
- Mr. Jensen thanked the SCC for their fine work this year.